Saturday 15 February 2014

Vintage pattern pledge

Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge

You may have noticed a new badge over on the right there - yes, I've signed up to a new challenge this year:

During 2014, I, Dilly, will sew up at least three of my vintage sewing patterns.

Now, I don't have the greatest track record in completing challenges, but I'm actually feeling quite inspired by this one. In fact, the day before I came across this challenge, I had been considering my (embarrassingly large) collection of vintage patterns, and thinking how sad it is that I haven't sewn up more of them - partly because I would rather like to be wearing them, and partly because it seems so melancholy for them to be sitting in boxes. If I own them, I should use them!

In this frame of mind, I had already re-traced a vintage pattern I had been struggling with before Christmas (having had a new idea about fitting it), so even before signing up, I'd made a good start!

I've kept to just three patterns in my pledge, as I've wanted to keep things realistic. I tend to muslin vintage patterns (as the sizing and fit can be very different to modern patterns), which takes up a fair amount of time, and I don't want to be sewing just vintage patterns this year! Although if I end up making more than three, that is of course a bonus...

Good news about the pattern I'm working on at the moment though - with just the adjustment I had been mulling over (lengthening the bodice and sleeve in the top part of the armscye), the bodice fit perfectly - without an FBA. I've had a bit more of a struggle with the sleeves (if you follow me on Twitter you'll know about that...), but I've got them fitting well enough that I'm about to start cutting the real fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment