So, I've managed to do my February Burda challenge before the end of January! I found February's BurdaStyle magazine to be so much better than January's, so there was plenty to choose from. For now, I picked this jersey top - interesting separates are something that I'm lacking in my wardrobe at the moment, so this fitted the bill. There are several more pieces from this month's magazine though that I would rather like to make: some more tops, several of the dresses, and I would also like to try one of the trousers for an upcoming trip to Sri Lanka. To me, many of the garments seemed quite summery, so this issue will probably be revisited a few times as the weather warms up.
Pattern descriptionBurdaStyle 02/2013/127: jersey top with gathered raglan sleeves. Long length with extra-long sleeves.
Pattern sizing34-42. I cut the 42, but did a dartless FBA, and graded out slightly at the waist and hips.
Fabric usedLightweight jersey, I think it's possibly a cotton mix, but I can't remember - or where I bought it from either!
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope when you were done?Yes. But more animal-printy. And with a bra.
Were the instructions easy to follow?Fairly straightforward, although this is a relatively simple pattern. I have to admit I didn't read them properly before starting, so made a small boo-boo: the sleeve hem is supposed to be 7cm so you get a nice long cuff with the extra long sleeves. I didn't notice this and only added 2.5cm, although it doesn't make much difference on such a busy print.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?The gathers along the raglan sleeve seam are very pretty and flattering, and I really like the extra long sleeves. The body itself is very very long... It does look quite attractive as it drapes though, so I think I may add some little tabs or elastic to keep the sides gathered at the bottom.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you madeAs mentioned, I made a dartless FBA, using the same method as for my knit bodice block. I would give you the exact measurements, but I just sort of eyeballed it... I added about 1.2cm in width, and 2.5cm in length. I added a CB seam as with my "large high hip" (read, "big bum") I need to add fullness towards the middle to avoid the fabric either pooling or pulling. Other than that, I just added a little width at the waist and hip as, even allowing for a little bit of negative ease in a stretch fabric, the measurements for a 42 (the largest size given) would be a little tight.
I didn't like the suggested finishing for the neckline (they have you bind it), I finished it with a T-shirt style band, stitching the CB seam last. Zoe has a tutorial on how to easily do this sort of finish (step four in that link).