Wednesday 27 April 2011

Pattern review - high-waisted black skirt

Pattern description

BWOF 1/2009/112

Pattern sizing

36-42. I cut the 42, but with a bit extra at the side seams - I measured the pattern flat and figured it would be ok as I was using a stretch fabric.

Fabric used

Black doubleknit bought in A-One Fabrics on Goldhawk Road. This was actually bought about 3 or 4 years ago for the express purpose of a high-waisted skirt, and I've finally got round to it! The yoke is interfaced with tricot fusible, and faced with lightweight black jersey.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope when you were done?

Yep, pretty much, with a few tweaks.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Yes, they were very clear, but it's a particularly easy pattern. I winged it on the exposed zip, using a RTW dress as a model.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

The silhouette is very flattering, and making it in stretch means it's very comfortable. The shaped and panelled yoke is a nice detail.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made

I added about 2cm total at the side seams, but since making it I've lost a little weight (woohoo) and now need to take it in a bit). I think it could do with being pegged a bit more at the side and back seams as it's not quite as "pencil" shape as I was intending, so I will do this alteration when I take it in. The waistband facing is cut slightly smaller than the actual waistband to keep it from stretching. I added an exposed metal zipper, neatened with grosgrain ribbon. I didn't add the belt loops as I didn't want to add bulk to the waistband as I knew I wanted to wear a tops untucked with it. However, I might add thread chains as when I wore it with a belt I had to keep moving it around to keep it in place.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I might make a variation on this design, maybe in a brightly coloured twill. I would definitely recommend it, it's a very flattering skirt, and very quick to cut and sew up.

Conclusion

I'm very pleased with this skirt. It was made to fill a hole in my wardrobe, and succeeded in that. I've worn it many times, and it's also versatile - worn with a pretty top tucked in it's great for evening, with a jersey tank it's a comfy daytime look.

No comments:

Post a Comment