Thursday, 31 January 2013

Gathered raglan-sleeve T-shirt

So, I've managed to do my February Burda challenge before the end of January! I found February's BurdaStyle magazine to be so much better than January's, so there was plenty to choose from. For now, I picked this jersey top - interesting separates are something that I'm lacking in my wardrobe at the moment, so this fitted the bill. There are several more pieces from this month's magazine though that I would rather like to make: some more tops, several of the dresses, and I would also like to try one of the trousers for an upcoming trip to Sri Lanka. To me, many of the garments seemed quite summery, so this issue will probably be revisited a few times as the weather warms up.

Pattern description

BurdaStyle 02/2013/127: jersey top with gathered raglan sleeves. Long length with extra-long sleeves.

Pattern sizing

34-42. I cut the 42, but did a dartless FBA, and graded out slightly at the waist and hips.

Fabric used

Lightweight jersey, I think it's possibly a cotton mix, but I can't remember - or where I bought it from either!

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope when you were done?

Yes. But more animal-printy. And with a bra.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Fairly straightforward, although this is a relatively simple pattern. I have to admit I didn't read them properly before starting, so made a small boo-boo: the sleeve hem is supposed to be 7cm so you get a nice long cuff with the extra long sleeves. I didn't notice this and only added 2.5cm, although it doesn't make much difference on such a busy print.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

The gathers along the raglan sleeve seam are very pretty and flattering, and I really like the extra long sleeves. The body itself is very very long... It does look quite attractive as it drapes though, so I think I may add some little tabs or elastic to keep the sides gathered at the bottom.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made

As mentioned, I made a dartless FBA, using the same method as for my knit bodice block. I would give you the exact measurements, but I just sort of eyeballed it... I added about 1.2cm in width, and 2.5cm in length. I added a CB seam as with my "large high hip" (read, "big bum") I need to add fullness towards the middle to avoid the fabric either pooling or pulling. Other than that, I just added a little width at the waist and hip as, even allowing for a little bit of negative ease in a stretch fabric, the measurements for a 42 (the largest size given) would be a little tight.

I didn't like the suggested finishing for the neckline (they have you bind it), I finished it with a T-shirt style band, stitching the CB seam last. Zoe has a tutorial on how to easily do this sort of finish (step four in that link).

Construction details

Everything except the gathering stitches and topstitching was done on the serger. I only did single topstitching rather than a twin needle. Mainly because I was lazy and couldn't be bothered to swap it over. I would normally finish a T-shirt neckband at the side seam, but the gathering at the raglan seams meant I didn't want to add bulk or complication here. When I cut it, I made sure the pattern was symmetrical, but didn't give it any more though than that. I only noticed when I finished it and put it on that there is a slight, err, "headlight" effect... I'm still wearing it though, I just tell myself that it's not too noticeable.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

This is a great T-shirt pattern: basic enough to be used as a wardrobe builder but the gathers on the raglan sleeves add a little extra individuality and femininity. It's pretty straightforward and quick to sew (I made it in an afternoon), and I would definitely recommend it to others. I will probably sew another version (or two or three) as it will make a great quick and easy project between other more complicated ones.

Conclusion

I'm very pleased with this top. I love the fit of it, and it's a really useful addition to my wardrobe (I'm wearing it here with my self-drafted jeans skirt). On to the March Burda challenge!

5 comments:

  1. Very cute! Loving the animal print!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Popped over from Pretty Grievances. I have been eye-balling this pattern in the Burda too, now I need to get it traced out! I prefer your neckline treatment too, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came over from Pretty Grievances too :-)

    I love your top! I tried out this pattern last week, but wasn't too successful as the fabric I used was really too thick. I'm planning on trying it again soon with a better fabric choice. I'm really happy to see a version in a print fabric, because I have a piece of print jersey I'd like to try with this pattern.

    Now off to explore the rest of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great top and wow I love your view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to try this pattern--thank you for all the details! This looks great on you (and even with you saying it, I can't find any headlight effect).

    ReplyDelete