Monday 19 March 2012

Blue twill basic mini(-ish)-skirt

I'm catching up with a few things I've sewn over the last few months but haven't yet posted about. This skirt was actually sewn around October last year! It's not terribly exciting, but I wanted to fill in more of the stuff I'd sewn and not blogged about.

Pattern description

Basic self-drafted straight skirt.

Fabric used

Blue twill cotton (maybe polycotton) from Fabric.com. Lined with the same bright yellow mystery lining used in the yellow wrap skirt.

Did it look like the sketch/idea when you were done?

Yep! I wanted just a plain basic skirt, and that's what this is!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

This was super quick to sew and filled a hole in my wardrobe. The colour was actually quite hard to fit into my wardrobe, but that's my fault, not the fault of the pattern!

Drafting details

Drafted pretty much directly as a shortened version of my skirt block. I think I dropped the waist by around 1.5cm too. I think I need to check the hip measurement and fit of the back darts on my skirt block though, as this skirt rides up a little at the back.

Construction details

Seams are finished on the serger, and it is hemmed by hand to avoid a visible line of stitching (I actually did this on the plane to New York). I decided the blue top-stitching on on the hem of the (yellow) lining was a design feature, not simply because I was too lazy to change the thread...

I'd intended to use an invisible zipper at the back, but only had a normal zipper, so used a lapped zipper insertion. However, when I'd done this, I realised I had no idea how to finish the top edge/lining, and ended up with funny little pocket where the zip sits under the lining on the underlap side. I need to work out how to fix this as I really can't visualise how it could work and keep the top edge of the zip neat, unless the zip stops short of the top and there is a waistband - any tips on how to fix this? On the plus side, it's probably the best lapped zipper I've done so far.

Would you sew it again?

I probably will make a similar type of skirt again at some point, but in a colour that's slightly easier to mix and match with what I have in my wardrobe (or maybe I need to make more tops to go with this?). If I do make it again, as well as checking the fit over my hips and top of my bottom as mentioned above, I will also probably peg it slightly to keep it a bit closer to my thighs (so I'm not worrying so much about knicker flashing!).

Conclusion

A handy wardrobe builder, and quick to sew.

No comments:

Post a Comment