Wednesday 4 May 2011

Pattern review - oversized T-shirt top

Not a very exciting garment/review, I'm afraid, but I'm wardrobe building at the moment!

Pattern description

Kwik Sew 3496, view A. Misses' pull-over tops. View A has boat neckline and elbow length dolman sleeves.

Pattern sizing

XS-XL (bust 31.5-45"). I cut the large.

Fabric used

Black cotton jersey.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope when you were done?

Yep, pretty much identical.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Super easy, you probably don't even need to follow them for this view!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

A nice simple and quick top to sew. It does come up very large though (even for a loose-fitting top), this is something I've found more than once with Kwik-Sew patterns.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made

I made a sort of FBA to the front, and eased in the extra fullness created on the side seams. I made a small swayback adjustment to the back, but I think with this style of top I need to take in some of the fullness in the small of the back widthwise, but not really take out much length, as when this was belted and fluffed a bit, it became a bit short at the back. I shortened the top by about 4". I lowered the neckline about an inch in the front, and didn't stabilise the neckline as the jersey isn't super lightweight (and I couldn't be faffed), so we'll see how that holds up...

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I already have sewn it again! I've made it it a much lighter weight rayon jersey, I'll show that to you shortly. Yep, I would recommend it to others.

Conclusion

This top is ok, but it pulls backwards at the neck quite a lot, and I can't quite work out why. I think it's maybe that I took out too much length in the back, but it could also be that the jersey is a bit too heavy for this style, I'll see how it goes with the next version. However in general I'm pretty pleased with this for what it is - a basic useful top, which fills a hole in my wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment