Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Pattern review - oversized T-shirt top, take 2

So I mentioned in my previous review of this pattern that I'd already started sewing another version - this is the review of that second version!

Pattern description

Kwik Sew 3496, view A. Misses' pull-over tops. View A has boat neckline and elbow length dolman sleeves.

Pattern sizing

XS-XL (bust 31.5-45"). I cut the large.

Fabric used

Lightweight rayon slub jersey (from This worked much better with the pattern than the thicker cotton jersey and is super lovely to wear, but was a bit of nightmare to sew with (not least because the pins kept falling out...)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope when you were done?

Almost - I made some alterations at the neckline, as detailed below.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Yep super easy, although I didn't need to even glance at them as I'd already made this top once already.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

A nice simple and quick top to sew.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made

See my previous review for details of the fitting alterations I made to the pattern. The only major change in construction from the previous one was that I decided to stabilise the neckline, as the jersey I used was very lightweight. I used clear elastic, but put it in very badly the first time (think puckers all over the place and weird pointy bits at the shoulder seams) so had to rip it out. It went in better the second time, but I think in all the handling I managed to stretch the neckline, so it was bagging really really weirdly on one side at the front. I didn't want to rip it out and redo it again (and I figured that this would just make the stretching worse), so I decided to make a design feature and put in some pleats to take in the excess. I'm actually quite pleased with this rescue as the pleats ended up livening up a fairly plain top. Must remember to staystich in the future though...

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I would recommend it, and would recommend stabilising the neckline after cutting. I'm not entirely happy with the fit of either of the versions I've made - although I think that's more due to my construction than any fault of the pattern. It definitely works better in the more lightweight, drapey jersey. I might make it again, but I've got plenty of other tops I want to make first!


Another basic wardrobe builder done...


  1. Really cute top. The belt really looks nice with it and give it some style. Good job.

  2. I know this is an old post, but I'd like to comment anyway. I read your review of this pattern today because I'd like to make it soon. I have some of the same fabric from and think the problem isn't how you stitched the neckline. This fabric has no lycra and poor recovery. I made a little layering tee and had the same thing happen. The pleats ad a nice touch and are a great way to save the neckline. Thank you so much for sharing.